HuntingBassets.com - Rabbit Hunting With Basset Hounds

Welcome to the Hunting Bassets Message Forum

It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Ticks?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:13 pm 
IP:

How do you hunting folks protect yourselves and your hounds against tick bites? The tick population around my area has been growing. Even have them in my yard during certain times of the year. It always bothered me to treat my former hound Lucy (ATB Oct. 09) with pesticide/Frontline but didn't know of any other treatment. Is there any kind of a special comb or brush you can use on them after they've been in the field. Any what about people? We can't use Frontline?

Advice and shared experience would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Ticks?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:49 am 
IP:

Dear Sally:

Tic and flea control is a daily routine in the life of a hunter with hunting dogs. There are many recommendations on the market and from talking with many hunters; they all seem to have their own tricks for tics.

First and foremost, a high protein diet for your Hound strengthening its immune system and keeping it healthy will help keep tics off of your Hound. Tics seem to feed on weak victims. At the end of each hunt in the field with my Hounds, I always use a flea comb to search for tics and fleas on my Hounds. If I locate any of these pests, I reapply the comb to the Hound with petroleum jelly smeared at the base of the teeth to trap the tics or fleas. On a daily basis I feed my Hounds brewer’s yeast tablets with garlic that also boosts the immune system in the Hounds and again keeping the Hounds healthy for tic and flea repelling. During spring and summer months when tics and fleas are in great numbers, I use in addition to the above, 1/8 cup of apple cider vinegar in the Hounds 3 quart water bowl once a day for tic repellant. I have also used the skins from oranges and grapefruits, rubbing these skins on the Hounds coat except that I always feared the overpowering scent of the citrus oil will interfere with the Hounds scenting ability.

When it comes to the most heavily infested time of the year for tics and fleas, I do resort to using chemical treatments with Frontline or K9 Advantix. These two products are some of the best products on the market and easy to use.

Speaking of easy to use, I have considered using an Anibo Tic-Clip. See the following information concerning this product. For one or two Hounds, this product may be the answer, but for a large pack as of mine, the costs overweigh practicality.

The Anibio Tic-Clip offers a revolutionary approach to protecting your pet from ticks and fleas, without pesticides, squeeze-ons, sprays, or topical application of any kind! The Tic-Clip harnesses the power of the bioenergetic field around your pet to create an energy barrier that repels insect pests for two years. This insect repellent collar tag was created in Germany and has been a huge success with pets throughout Europe. The Tic-Clip is a top seller at our sister site, Only Natural Pet Store – Europe, and now we’re bringing this amazing item to the US to offer you and your companions another safe, non-toxic weapon against ticks and fleas.

• Absolutely non-toxic
• 100% pesticide-free
• Completely safe for pets and humans
• Odor-free, does not interfere with your pet's sense of smell
• Safe for use with puppies and kittens
• Protection lasts for two years
• Water resistant
• 1" sized tag weighs only as much as a penny

How it Works

The ready-to-use Tic-Clip tag is imprinted with an electromagnetic charge bearing a polarized energy signature. This energetic charge adapts to your companion’s unique bioenergy frequency and produces a vibrational field around the animal that repels ticks and fleas. Ticks and fleas simply do not react to the pet anymore.
The mechanism of the Tic-Clip’s action is a bit abstract when compared with the traditional insect repellents, but this product is the result of many years of research and delivers results that dispel skepticism. Holistic products that work similarly with bioenergetic fields, like flower essences and homeopathic remedies, still lie outside the mainstream, but devoted users will tell you that the results can be truly amazing.

By the way, I use brewer’s yeast tablets with garlic on myself during tic and flea season.

Respectful Hunting,

Autumn

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:03 am 
IP:

I usually don't use any repellent -- but if I suspect a hound may have Lyme, I immediately start using an antibiotic. unfortunately, Lyme does not produce a well defined set of symptoms. Limping, lack of stamina can be common in infected hounds. I use Fishmox or Birdbiotic ---- if it's Lyme, the response is immediate, and the symptoms are gone in about 2 days. The antibiotic must be continued for 30 days to be sure of a complete cure.
Both antibiotics can be bought without prescription on the internet, just search for the names---` both are actually people grade, just labeled for pets only. I use them for myself.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:11 pm 
IP:

Thank You Autumn and Dean for your response.

I'm happy to have gotten answers that offer alternatives to the chemicals. It just doesn't make sense to me to treat an animal with a pesticide that warns the person applying the chemical not to get it on their skin. I'm not saying I won't use it during high tick season but twelve months out of the year, it can't be good for the dog. Do each of you go with the lyme vaccine recommended by the Vet (my vet recommended and just figure they all do)?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:22 pm 
IP:

All of my Hounds are tested for Lyme disease and vaccinated for Lyme disease yearly and even with these precautions the need for “Tic Control” is still my top priority. As described to me by my Veterinarian, a Hound can still contract Lyme disease even though vaccinated but the chances of the Hound contracting the disease are greatly reduced. He also described that tic control is the most important aspect in controlling Lyme disease and that with a positive “Tic Control Program” for your Hound, you will also be preventing many other tic borne diseases. Many Veterinarians do not recommend the Lyme disease vaccination, but I listen to my Veterinarian for he is an “Old Timer” who has been my family Veterinarian for many years and has “Hunted with Basset Hounds” for many years.

Profile  WWW